1. Q: Let's start with your name, where you're from, and how you initially got your start in the beauty space?
I am Jasmine Lewis, a Houston native now residing in Atlanta, GA.
As early as age 9, I began experiencing what would eventually spark my desire to obtain my Bachelor’s in biological science. At the time, I was taking care of my paternal grandmother who was fighting breast cancer. She inspired me to make the transition from college to Atlanta to pursue my medical career. But when I graduated and started attending esthetics school, I began to see how strong the correlation between biological science and beauty really is. The skin is the largest organ of our body, so what we put on our skin is a direct reflection of the changes within our body. Miseducation in skincare can cause illnesses in the body and can impact our mental and emotional health. I chose to pursue my esthetic career to become a resource and educate people on how to properly care for their skin. After years of servicing clients, I decided that there needed to be a product that would continue the mission of healthy and consistent skincare routines. In May of 2020, I launched the 30ROSES Hydrating Facial Rose Water.
There are so many incredible Black women who have changed the beauty industry — from makeup artists to entrepreneurs to scientists. These innovators set the standard that Black women deserve quality products catering to our melanin-rich skin. The story behind my why is similar to the beauty industry
innovators wanting to see effective change. My brand story also represents life, and that is how Vie Beauty was birthed. My brand is a representation of my late maternal and paternal grandmothers, who are both the backbone of my “why” -- why I choose the path I have and why I continue to choose this path
2. Q: What was the inspiration behind your brand name and what do you offer?
A: Vie means “to be alive” in French. I believe in choosing life in every aspect of the choices you make, to be alive and fulfilled in all things that bring you joy. The skin is the largest organ of our bodies and seemingly is what keeps us alive. This is why skin health, proper skin education and being mindful of the ingredients we put on our skin is so vital to living. Also:
● The VI in VIE Beauty is the Roman numeral for 6, which represents the month that both of my grandmothers passed away.
● Our pink logo is inspired by breast cancer awareness, as one of my grandmothers passed away from breast cancer.
I knew VIE Beauty was the right name for my brand because it represented everything I stood for and my “why”. My grandmothers were my whole world, and they are now at the core of my brand.
3. Q: When were YOU first introduced to rose water and at what point did you realize it had to be your first product?
A: I’ve had my own beauty studio for years serving clients as an esthetician. Rose water was already an essential piece to my services, as it set the tone for how I started my lash services. I would cleanse each client’s eyes and wipe with a cloth dampened in rose water. I received so many requests for the rose water, so that was my “aha” moment. I had every intention of scaling my business, and the 30Roses product was the best way.
4. Q: As a licensed esthetician, what are some key skincare hacks Dolls can use achieve a glow in these dryer months?
● Apply an occlusive: Occlusives are an integral part of an effective moisture routine. They help to form a physical barrier or seal on the outer layer of the skin, which prevents trans-epidermal water loss and keeps moisture locked in. Cerave healing ointment is a great example of an occlusive you may want to consider adding to your routine, especially on cold brittle evenings
when the skin barrier is most vulnerable.
● Incorporate hydrating products: You can never be too hydrated, and adding more hydrating products to your routine is an excellent way to keep the skin soft and supple.
● Use SPF: Protecting the skin from the sun isn’t something you should only consider during the summer; it should be considered all year round. Sun damage can cause dehydration even when there’s cloud cover.
● Creamy cleansers: Utilizing creamy cleansers when the weather cools down can help keep the skin without stripping it of its natural oils.
● Minimize harsh products: Using harsh products can negatively affect the skin’s moisture or hydration level. Swap out harsh products for more gentle ones that won’t strip the skin.
● Use a serum: Adding a serum with ingredients like hyaluronic acid is a great way to add a huge dose of hydration into your routine.
● Protect your lips: Make sure to protect your lips by treating them during the drier months. Dry lips often lead to dry skin.
● Beware of the mask: Wearing cloth and surgical masks can protect the skin from becoming dehydrated, but they may also cause other issues like maskne (mask-induced acne). Make sure to wear a clean mask at all times to avoid any skin issues.
5. Q: Let's talk about this bottle! Your packaging is absolutely gorgeous. Any inspo behind it or any specific goal you had in mind when designing the glass bottle?
A: Our goal when creating 30ROSES was to give our clients an unmatched skincare experience -- from the smell of our product to the shape of the bottle, every detail has been carefully planned and perfected. Vie Beauty is all about luxury and packaging is an important part of the luxury experience, but we still wanted our packaging to be eco-friendly. The glass bottle is completely recyclable, so you can feel confident that you are helping the environment while maintaining your luxe skincare routine. But the 30Roses product is not just a part of your skincare routine; it’s also a beautiful piece of art that can be displayed on your vanity. When it’s on display, you’re even more likely to stick with your routine as it is a beautiful reminder to keep your skin glowing and healthy. Most women who do not have a consistent skincare routine will forget to cleanse or moisturize, but the sexy glass rose bottle will be a reminder to perform your entire routine before spraying the rose water. The beautiful bottle also sparks an interest in skincare for those who notice it and aren’t too knowledgeable on the topic. When guests come over and notice this beautiful piece, it will be an instant conversation starter.
6. Q: What has been your proudest moment with 30 Roses?
Finding out that Mariah Carey is a lover of 30Roses was a dream come true!
7. Name one highlight in your journey that you believe was the turning point for your success?
Having our first featured article with Hello Beautiful was a big turning point for Vie Beauty.
8. We LOVE that you've thought of the little girls with your Mommy & Me Set, which features a mini bottle of 30Roses. Tell us why this was important to you?
I know how important the bond is between a mother and her daughter. It is a sacred relationship, a connection that can never be replaced. Similar to getting our hair done, skincare taps into our culture and shows what taking care of your skin looks like as a young girl growing up to an adult. It starts young. The
Mommy & Me Set also doubles as a fun mother-daughter spa kit.
9. We would love an inside look into your beauty routine as a busy entrepreneur! Please share your top 3 staple products/routines?
As an entrepreneur, I am very busy -- but I always set aside time for my skincare routine. I occasionally slip up, but overall, I am strict about taking care of my skin. I had acne growing up and honestly despised the skin on my face and body. I now have a deep love and appreciation for my skin. Skincare is a journey
and that journey is sacred to me. I’m working to make my skin healthy and “perfect” to me, not by the unrealistic standards set in place by others. Normal skin has pores, imperfections and, more often than not, hyperpigmentation. So we need to embrace more realistic beauty standards. If I had to narrow down my top 3 beauty staples, I would choose a serum to treat your specific skin
issues, SPF to protect the skin and, of course, the 30Roses hydrating rose water.
10. So what's next for Vie Beauty?
We kicked off our holiday initiative that features a limited-edition bag that will provide marginalized communities with premium skincare products. I partnered with Atlanta Mission My Sister’s House, a women’s and children’s shelter, to provide women with access to quality products while they are in transition. When I entered the esthetics world, I realized there were not many opportunities for estheticians and other beauty professionals to assist in the growth of our community. “Love My Mis” is a campaign dedicated to educating women and children on the importance of skin health. Miseducation in skincare can cause illness in the body and also impact our mental and emotional health; that’s why
proper skin education is vital to an individual’s self esteem and overall well being. After all, what we place on our skin is a direct reflection of the changes within our bodies. This campaign will show women and children that proper skincare is possible even on a low-income budget. Beautiful skin builds confidence, boosts self-esteem and promotes internal happiness, which
strengthens mental and emotional health. “Love My Mis” embodies self love and loving your skin. Every woman and child deserves to feel beautiful at every stage of their life. Thus, my contribution to these women will be a curated beauty kit that includes a cleanser, moisturizer, serum, SPF and our 30ROSES
rose water spray to start the ladies on their healthy skin journey. The bags that the products will be packaged in are waterproof & multi-functional and feature a pink strap that makes it an accessible travel bag.
Outside of our holiday initiatives, we are prepping for 2021, as I expect Valentine’s Day to be filled with love. Our next product is currently in the works and I can’t wait to share it with the world.
- Give Your Skin a Wake-Up Call – If you’re not a morning person like most of us, then you probably need a little extra kick to get you up in the morning. Put that coffee mug down and pick up your rose water spray. A simple mist of this refreshing spray is an upgraded version of a splash of cold water to the face…and way more relaxing. You can also try integrating it into your morning skincare routine – cleanse, mist rose water, moisturizer then SPF.
- Lock in Moisture – Typically it is recommended that you apply a moisturizer right after washing your face, while it’s still wet, to help lock in moisture. But if you happen to use no rinse cleansers, this tip isn’t so helpful. Using a hydrating mist like rose water spray is a great way to infuse hydration and lock in moisture.
- Prep and Set Your Makeup – If you wear makeup every day, then you’ve probably been frustrated when blending with makeup sponges. Although they should work when dry, they work best when damp and rose water spray is perfect for helping you get an effortless application. Once your makeup is applied, you can soften it with just a few spritzes of rose water spray.
- Refresh Your Face Throughout the Day – Skincare is usually done in the comfort of your own home but rose water spray is a portable option that can be used almost anywhere. Whether you need a calming spritz or a hydration refresh, rose water spray has you covered no matter where you are. Keep a bottle in your bag and keep your skin looking fresh all day.
- Finish Out Your Routine – at the end of a long day, there’s nothing better than cleaning your face and doing your nighttime skincare routine. Cleanse, spray rose water, use a serum or mask, spray more rose water, apply serum and finish off with a moisturizer. This infuses rose water between every step of the routine, leaving your face more hydrated, soft and radiant than ever.
Follow: IG @viebeautyx
Happy New Year, Dolls! Our last Issue wrapped up 2020 and we are so excited to kick off 2021 with this exclusive interview with Jasmine Lewis, the beauty and brains behind Vie Beauty. She dove into her early beginnings as a licensed estetician, gave the perfect skin care advice to help our skin glow through these last few months of winter. We hope you enjoyed her story and plan to get your hands on a bottle of 30 Roses, like myself! We are so excited to watch Jasmine to continue to grow on her journey ... and, can't wait to find out what Jasmine plans to launch next!
Next, here's the update on our luxury lash line - We were scheduled to launch in January, but due to delays outside of our control, we are now scheduled to launch this month. (February) WE CANNOT WAIT!! If you have not already, go ahead and sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when we launch!
And last but not least, we are so excited to continue to bring you beauty, beauty inspo, & beauty education, all right here at www.dollishthebeautyco.com.
If you or someone you know would like to be featured in a future issue, please fill out this form!
See you in April for our next Issue!